Artisan’s Asylum Buildout

artisansasylum_panorama
PaintingApplying Paintmannequinthings to doNailscustom builtARCSerious Weld MaskDiabloventillated roomsinsert armsa little twist heremetal shavingssanding beltclampbladecircular sawplug inbits and piecesThe PlanReady to Paintblue tapeoutletscrewsstitchflavorschoose your ownvisual guide to spare partsbittoolswrenchescustom bikeswood piledrill anyone?sans ladderclear the couch

I began working with Artisan’s Asylum as a design intern and stopped by to take a few photos of the space. This is a period of expansion for this Somerville community maker space, so from these images it may not be quite obvious what Artisan’s Asylum is or what they do. However it is exciting to see this work in progress and I can tell you a bit about what it is.

Artisan’s Asylum could be called a maker space, however I like to think that it is much more than that. For those of you unfamiliar with the term, a maker space is a communal workshop that usually runs on memberships. The reason I believe Artisan’s Asylum is much more than that is the mission to teach. Besides giving you access to welding torches, wood working tools, robotics, photography and other massive, noisy equipment that your neighbors would have a problem with, Artisan’s Asylum provides regular classes with expert teachers to help guide your creativity.

As I mentioned Artisan’s Asylum is going through a growing period, they are building out their new space at 10 Tyler St. in Somerville, MA in an old factory space. They had previously been located in two separate locations closer to McGrath Highway in East Somerville. This new Location is both bigger and more conveniently located to folks in the Cambridge/Somerville area. As this project progresses I will have more on when they will be opening, it should be just in time for their November and December classes!

If you are interested check out their list of classes at www.artisansasylum.com

Leave a Reply